Tuesday, November 3, 2009

HTC Sync

I haven't posted for a while now, mainly because I didn't have a lot to say *g*. Now there are no news about the ADC2 contest, but Google released SDK 2.0 meanwhile and this is of course interesting for all android developers.
Looking threw the API, the main changes don't look too exciting for me and I do not understand that big jump from 1.6 to 2.0. Where did all the numbers in between go? Probably this is not a decision made by developers. "2.0" just sounds so nice I guess...

Never mind while adding new features to Fish! I am also changing the application to support all the new resolutions and I am planing to release an update on the weekend. The level of detail of the 3d models is high, so the new devices should definitely benefit from it. Also more fishes should be possible. A new snapdragon device should be able to render about 35-50 fishes with full details. I wish I had one of this devices :D.

For testing I decided to upgrade my HTC Magic with a new 1.6 ROM. Austrian provider "3" seams to ignore the new versions and as a customer your left alone with your old version. This is kinda lame, especially for all developers who want to use new features but don't want to block users with old version.
Now updating should be easy, I thought... That's not the case if your operating system is a german WinXp. The update tool from HTC requires HTC Sync to be installed and connected with your device. So I downloaded the latest version and started the setup. During installation the setup application complained, that it can't find the driver in the "C:\Program Files..." folder. The installation did complete, but was broken of course. If you are not using a localized version of WindowsXP, you will have no problem. Microsoft for some reason decided to localize the "Program Files" folder to "Programme" in the German version. The HTCSync setup ignores that fact and fails to install unless you copy the files manually in your hand created folder with the correct name.
I could imagine that many ordinary users fail to upgrade there devices just because of this installation problem....

No comments:

Post a Comment